Nails always can be an issue for many people. And it’s really annoying, my nails are the worst they’ve ever been! They’re splitting at the sides and peeling on top they just look awful. I’m trying to grow them but that seems near impossible with hands in water all day for work! Is there any way to get healthy nails? Read on about the best nail growth and strengthener.
I have been wearing acrylic nails from the age of 12 years old, I am now 43 years old and have decided it’s time to give them up. My natural nails were so weak that every time I had a fill I ended up breaking all my nails off almost down to my cuticles!! For a while, though I got waylaid with gel nails which I found to be much stronger than acrylic, the complete removal process was so time-consuming and costly!!
- 1 Top Nail growth and strengthener
- 2 Methods to removing your acrylic nails, gel nails, or hard gels
- 3 Tips for nail growth
- 4 Tip for nail strenghing
Top Nail growth and strengthener
1) Hard As Hoof Nail Strengthening Cream
I have been using the Hard As Hoof nail strengthening cream for about 6 weeks now and I absolutely can’t believe how fantastic it is. When I applied this to my nails, after two days they were noticeably more flexible and stronger! After a week, my natural nails started growing without splitting or peeling! My cuticles are no longer dry and ragged either, although I do still use some good quality cuticle oil on them every night before bed.
2) Nail-Aid Keratin Nail Strengthening Treatment
The Nail-Aid treatment is great for people who find it difficult to look after their nails. It not only moisturizes but also helps encourage new growth. This keratin enriched nail strengthening treatment is applied with a felt tip pen, so no brushes are required! The product contains Vitamin E which repairs damaged nails and cuticles while increasing flexibility. As soon as I tried the Nail aid my cuticles improved immeasurably!! They no longer looked sore or dry, furthermore, they were no longer splitting at the side of my nails either. My nails have developed an increased thickness making them stronger too!!! These two products are without doubt the best nail growth and strengthener in the market today! Two very happy customers – thank you!!
Methods to removing your acrylic nails, gel nails, or hard gels
If you are thinking of removing your acrylic nails, gel nails, or hard gels, but don’t want to damage your natural nails, I would recommend filing the acrylics down as much as possible then applying a strengthening treatment before removing them completely.
There are some absolutely amazing strengtheners on the market at the moment that really do work. Some of these include;
Nail- Tek Crystal File –
this is amazing for filing down any remaining acrylic to remove it without causing any damage to your natural fingernails (NB: Do not file all your fingers at once because it could weaken your nails. I suggest using one hand for 1 week whilst filing and buffing, 1 week on another hand and so forth). Also, make sure you wash hands thoroughly after filing the acrylic to remove any residue left on nails. Every other day I use the Nail Tek Crystal File for 5 minutes, followed by applying a strengthening base coat before putting my hands under the dryer for 20 minutes to set it.
The next nail strengthener is called Iron-Tek –
this is an iron powder mixed with liquid which you paint onto your nails and then wrap in tin foil for 10 minutes. When removing tin foil after 10 minutes file down any remaining acrylics with a crystal file (see above) also apply to strengthen the base coat before drying. Then every other day I would use only the Iron-Tek for 5 minutes, once again followed by reinforcing basecoat before using my hairdryer to dry it off. The other product I use every day is Pure Protein Nail Strengthener, this is a protein basecoat that helps to keep nails strong and stops them from breaking. Every other day after removing the Iron-Tek (or Crystal file) I apply the Pure Protein and dry it under my hairdryer for 20 minutes.
These 2 products along with wearing gloves in the shower will make sure your natural nails get stronger and eventually grow longer. You can also use them on artificial nails or hard gels which should be filed down before using the strengthening process described above. After all this, you should see an improvement within 2 months if not sooner.
Tips for nail growth
1. Eat a well-balanced diet
2. Moisturize your nails and cuticles with a good moisturizer, especially after you have been in water or washing dishes.
3. Protect your nails from damage by wearing gloves when you are doing the housework or any other activities that can cause breaks as splits as snags to your nails as this will make them weak and lead to more damage.
4. To strengthen your nails apply a clear base coat before applying color polish to prevent chipping or peeling, this base coat should be used under any nail color of top coat.
5. Wear rubber gloves while washing dishes for an hour a day which will protect your hands from being dried out dishwashing liquid and hot water.
6. If you have a job that requires the use of your hands constantly such as sewing, gardening and housekeeping wear cotton gloves underneath your rubber gloves to absorb any moisture which will help keep your cuticles and skin moisturized and supple.
7. Keep nails trimmed and filed to prevent snags or splits and wear gloves while doing tasks like raking leaves, mowing the lawn etc. this will help protect your fingers from damage that can be brought about by these activities.
8. Get regular manicures; this is more for appearance than anything else because if the shape of the nail looks good then it’s appearance is improved but also because getting a pedicure can improve blood flow so applying polish adds an extra coat of protection, plus it makes your nails look good and is a great morale booster.
9. There are nail strengtheners available in most pharmacies or beauty supply stores that will make your natural nails less brittle and cause them to grow longer stronger and healthier. These come in various forms such as coatings that you apply once a day for an extended period of time. They’re relatively inexpensive and can be used under nail color if you like to paint your own nails with clear polish which is exactly what I did!
Tip for nail strenghing
1. Take vitamins that are good for your nails and cuticles which will strengthen them over time.
2. Wear rubber gloves while washing dishes one hour each day for an extended period of time, this can soften even the hardest water if you have it.
3. Use only white vinegar to wash your dishes; beach soap is very bad for your nails as it makes them dry out plus most other soaps contain chemicals like phosphates that cause nails to become brittle.
4. Eat foods containing protein calcium iron vitamin E (it’s a great moisturizer) & zinc, also drink lots of water because skin and hair need plenty of moisture to stay healthy!
5. Try to protect your hands from by wearing work gloves when doing household tasks which may damage your nails.
6. Check your diet for foods to avoid such as greasy foods, salt, caffeine and other artificial additives found in processed foods. These are wreaks of havoc on your skin, hair and nails!
7. When doing any household chores wear gloves which help protect your hands from water that can dry them out plus wearing cotton gloves underneath the rubber ones helps absorb excess moisture that may cause cuticles to become dry or cracked. Plus it makes you feel like a superhero when you do housework!! Try it… you’ll see!
8. Use moisturizer after every hand wash which will keep cuticles looking good but also help prevent cracking dryness & brittleness, this is especially important if you have any cuts or wounds on your hands.
9. Take time out for yourself to go to the salon and get a manicure once in awhile, this is more for appearance than anything else because when nails are looking good the quality of the entire look improves. This also helps improve blood flow which can make your cuticles healthier! Plus getting a pedicure makes you feel pampered, relaxed & refreshed… it’s definitely worth it!!
10. To strengthen nails apply clear base coat before applying color polish, don’t forget to use top coat too to prevent damage from chipping or peeling!! This will keep nails healthy and strong over time. Using moisturizer regularly can help prevent breakage or splits too so remember to keep your hands & feet moisturized.